Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I know this has no knitting content, but I just had to share it with you guys. It's my adventture the other night with my cat and the animals I was petsitting.


.
Cliona freaking. Cast: Cliona, Nikita (a fully grown Alaskan Malamute), and me. For anyone that is not familiar with Alaskan Malamutes this is what I got from the American Kennel Club and Nikita fits it "There is a natural range in size in the breed. The desirable freighting sizes are males, 25 inches at the shoulders, 85 pounds; females, 23 inches at the shoulders, 75 pounds." Nikita isn't a show dog though.
Now my apartment has a set of stairs that you can go down to go into the house where my landlord and lady live and I have access to the house at all times. The weekend before thanksgiving I was down in the house letting Nikita have roam of the house. I went up to the 2nd floor and Nikita followed me. I heard Cliona meowing and opened my door to check on her. Nikita started charging up the stairs. THe following events happend so fast. At the sight of Nikita, Cliona at the top of the stairs jumped higher (like there were springs in her paws) than I ever saw her jump before. She started hissing and growling (and did so through the whole thing), launched herself off the banister, across the stairway, then off the wall. Nikita is now up the stairs. Cliona is coming down out of the air (thank you gravity) and I have to duck. If i didn't I would be like the person in the comics with a cat hanging off my face, with the front claws in my face. I'm trying to keep Nikita from getting all the way in to the apartment, but decide it's a loosing battle. Cliona hits a wall, lands, sees where Nikita is ans up she goes again. I manage to catch her midair. Ad I catch her I see that Nikita has found Cliona's favorite toy, a fur covered mouse and is licking it and proceeding to destroy it. I manage to get Cliona into the bathroom and shut her in it. You can her her grown through the door (solid wood). I quickly make a peanut butter sandwich (she loves em) to lure the dog away from the toy which is now mutilated and out of the apartment. I get Nikita squared away and go to check on Cliona. She's curled up behind the toulet. She lets me hold her for about 10 min., then wants down, only to walk around with her back arched and tail like a bottle brush for the rest of the night. I never did see her in the morning. I laughed myself to sleep. To make it even better the cat invites himself up 2 nights later. Trust me I was in the cat house for that.

Recipe for a potential disaster here:

Ingredients:
1 mischevious cat named Cliona
1 Foolish human
1 6.5 foot artificial Christmas tree (prelit)
Christmas Decorations
More Tree lights

Directions:
Have human assemble the 6.5' tree. Leave Cliona unattended with the tree.

Where's the disaster: Cliona has never experienced a large tree in her 2 previous christmases. SHe has only experienced a small tabletop one. Now that I have the room for a larger one I went and got one. TOnight will be the first night for her with the tree. In a stroke og genius though I have tied fishing line around the tree and anchored it to the wall so that she cannot knock the tree over. THere is stil potential for disaster though.

No comments: